Why Constitution Day Matters
We are faced today with two different roads, one of which follows the path of liberty set by our Founders in the Constitution, and one of which diverges from that path and leads us down the road to tyranny. There are two different warring camps within our society, and the ongoing battle between those camps has been graphically illustrated in recent primary elections and by the vicious fight over the nationalization of our healthcare system.
New START: A Step Closer to a Weaker America
Heritage Work of Note
- The left has been pushing to “green” the United States by reducing Nicolas Loris points out in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, “Gasoline prices would rise by 58% (an additional $1.38 per gallon) and average household electric rates would increase by 90% by 2035 if Obama signed the bill into law. The total energy bill for a family of four would be $1,200 higher than it would be without cap and trade in place.” Even liberal think tanks have been showing that this bill will lead to reductions in income and employment. . Their favored mechanism is a “cap and trade” law, which would hurt economic recovery. As Heritage analyst
- Throughout his presidency, President Obama promoted the benefits of education. But he has also been advocating for nationalized standards and testing. “National standards and tests would be a significant federal overreach into states’ educational decision-making authority,” writes Heritage education expert Lindsey Burke. “But through the administration’s $4.35 million ’Race to the Top‘ competitive grant program … states have already begun adopting national standards.” Additionally, if successful, the Obama Administration will have extended federal executive power by implementing these programs without congressional approval and without input from parents.
- California voters will vote marijuana legalization initiative. The reform’s supporters argue that cannabis is similar to alcohol and should therefore be treated the same. Heritage legal scholar Cully Stimson, however, says that “to equate marijuana use with alcohol consumption is, at best, uninformed and, at worst, actively misleading.” Besides the many toxic effects that cannabis has on human health, its use is linked to criminal behavior. on a
In Other News
- The Food and Drug Administration may rule against the use of Avastin, a life-saving drug that been the last hope for many cancer patients.
- playing political games after he added an immigration proposal to the defense bill. has been criticized for
- Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer does not believe that Koran burning is protected by the . He likened it to yelling “fire” in a crowded theater. One wonders, though, whether he believes burning the flag is protected.
- Some South Carolinians will have their water turned off because they refused to let their property be annexed to the city of Rock Hill.
- “Terror Flight,” a regularly scheduled flight to and Syriathat was suspected of smuggling spies and arms. has canceled its