Archive for the ‘white house’ Category
>I wrote a blog today that bluntly said Barak Obama should get out of town. He should turn in his White House keys, give up the presidency to someone else with more experience and get out of town. Even Joe Biden couldn’t hurt us any more than Barak Obama has already done. On the heels of GM going under, the president should re-consider his position and tell Michelle the truth for once, “It isn’t working, dear. I can’t fix the economy with money.”
By MICHELINE MAYNARD and NICK BUNKLEY
Tom and Chris Glavine with their children. A great looking family.
This is a handsome couple, two people who completely compliment each other.
Thomas Michael Glavine (born March 25, 1966 in Concord, Massachusetts) is an American left-handed starting pitcher in Major League Baseball for the Atlanta Braves.
During the 1990s, Glavine was one of the winningest pitchers in the National League. He is a five-time 20-game winner and two-time Cy Young Award winner, and one of only 23 pitchers (and just 5 left-handers) in major league history to earn 300 career wins. He is also known as an excellent fielding and hitting pitcher. Even he will tell you this isn’t his year (2008).
Raised in Billerica, Massachusetts, Glavine attended Billerica Memorial High School, where he was an excellent student and a letterman in ice hockey as well as baseball. He was a four-year member of the honor roll and the National Honor Society. In hockey, as a senior, he was named the Merrimack Valley’s Most Valuable Player. In baseball, he led his team to the Division I North Title and the Eastern Massachusetts Championship as a senior. Glavine graduated from high school in 1984 with honors. He was elected to the Billerica Memorial/Howe High School Athletic Hall of Fame in 1993.
Glavine was drafted by both the Los Angeles Kings in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft (in the 4th round, 69th overall—five rounds ahead of future National Hockey League stars Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille), and the Atlanta Braves Major League Baseball organization in the 2nd round of the 1984 amateur baseball draft. Glavine elected to play baseball and made his major league debut on August 17, 1987.
Glavine got his first career win against the Pittsburgh Pirates, hitting Barry Bonds in the back (years later, Bonds hit his 756th career home run the same week Glavine got his 300th career win). Glavine enjoyed good times and bad times during his first several years in the majors, compiling a 33–43 record from 1987 to 1990, including a 17-loss performance in 1988.
His fortunes turned around in 1991, when he won 20 games and posted a 2.55 earned run average. It was his first of three consecutive seasons with 20 or more wins, and saw him earn his first National League Cy Young Award. Glavine was the ace on the 1991 Braves’ starting rotation that also included Steve Avery, Charlie Leibrandt, and another future NL Cy Young Award winner, John Smoltz. His season helped ensure a dramatic reversal in the Braves’ competitive fortunes as they won the National League pennant and earned a trip to the World Series, though they lost to the Minnesota Twins in seven games. In an era of the diminishing 20-game winner (there were none in the majors in 2006), Glavine became the last major league pitcher—and the only pitcher active in 2007—to win 20 games in three consecutive years (1991–1993).
Atlanta, long thought of as a perennial cellar dweller, was lifted in the 1990s into one of the most successful franchises in the game on the strength of its stellar pitching staff and solid hitting. After the Braves acquired Greg Maddux from the Chicago Cubs in 1993, Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz formed the best pitching rotation of the decade. Among them, they won seven Cy Young Awards during the period of 1991 to 1998. Glavine won his second Cy Young Award in 1998, going 20–6 with a 2.47 ERA. Years later, after Glavine joined the Mets and Maddux played for the San Diego Padres, the three (along with Smoltz who still pitched for Atlanta) all recorded wins on the same day, June 27, 2007.
The Braves defeated the Cleveland Indians in 6 games in the 1995 World Series, and Glavine was named the Series MVP. He won two games during that series: Game 2 and Game 6. In Game 6, he pitched eight innings of one-hit shutout baseball; in fact, the only run in that game was a solo 6th-inning home run by David Justice of the Braves.
In addition to the championship won with the Braves in 1995, he also went to four other World Series with the team (in 1991, 1992, 1996 and 1999).
Author of the book is Paul Sperry
Review by Don White
The most dangerous Muslim radicals won’t be sneaking through our borders from the Middle East — they’re already here. That’s the alarming message of Washington-based investigative reporter Paul Sperry’s new book, Infiltration: How Muslim Spies and Subversives Have Penetrated Washington.
Using access to classified documents as well as exclusive interviews with FBI agents, Customs officers, and military intelligence officials, Sperry reveals how the top levels of our government, armed forces and intelligence agencies have been compromised by radical Muslims — many of them trained, supported, and inserted into their positions by the so-called “moderate” Muslim establishment in America.
Cleverly exploiting “diversity,” “religious freedom,” and tax-exemption laws, these subversives have gained firm footholds in key American institutions, including public schools and universities, the federal and state prison system, law enforcement, the military, nuclear weapons laboratories, the Department of Homeland Security — even the White House.
The ultimate goal of these Muslim subversives, according to Sperry — quoting verbatim from some of the most respected and “mainstream” Muslim leaders in America — is to replace the U.S. Constitution with Sharia (Islamic) law and turn America into an Islamic state. And, as Sperry details point-by-point, they have been aided and abetted in their sinister aims by tireless champions of spiritual and cultural relativism in the media and academia, who have mitigated the threat in the public’s mind by “mainstreaming” Islam.
Infiltraton, in even the best scenario for America, is a story of mass deception — a disturbing tale of how the American people have been played for fools, victims of an elaborate fraud orchestrated by the “mainstream” Muslim establishment to protect a faith from due scrutiny, while concealing an underworld that secretly plots to infiltrate and overturn the American system of government.
A small sampling of Paul Sperry’s disturbing revelations:
· “One Nation Under Allah”: how some of the most respected American Muslim leaders — the so-called “moderates” who have broken bread in the White House, prayed in Congress, advised the Pentagon, and even lectured cadets at the FBI academy — are harboring a secret dream about the future of American culture
· The influential American Muslim leader who has repeatedly told Muslim audiences that their goal is to turn the U.S. into an Islamic state, even if it takes “a hundred years”
· How an Islamic activist obtained a sensitive intelligence post at the Department of Homeland Security even though he failed to disclose his past association with a confessed terrorist — an omission overlooked by a federal personnel agency he happened to previously advise as one of its top internal lawyers
· The senior White House official who once lobbied Congress and federal agencies to make it harder for federal law enforcement to deport Middle Eastern immigrants with suspected terror links
· The FBI’s translator program: a den of deceit and dual loyalties, where mistranslation of al Qaeda intercepts by Muslim and Arab linguists is commonplace, say agents and translators who have worked there
· How the FBI is putting its agents through “Muslim sensitivity training,” which includes inviting Muslim clerics and leaders to preach about the allegedly peaceful attributes of Islam
· The growing threat posed by the more than 20,000 Muslims in America’s armed forces — and by the estimated 200,000 Muslim prison inmates in America, many of whom have been converted by radical chaplains sympathetic to al Qaeda
· The Arabic translator in the Minneapolis field office of the FBI who had a relationship with an al Qaeda suspect for seven years — and was quietly let go only recently
· How, in their rush to recruit Arabic translators after 9/11, both the FBI and Pentagon cut corners on background checks and hired Muslim translators in spite of their ties to military and intelligence agencies in Syria, Egypt, Pakistan, and Turkey
· How laptops with classified intelligence about al Qaeda investigations have gone missing from the translation unit in the Washington field office of the FBI
· The Muslim FBI agent who refused to wear a wire to secretly record a Muslim target of a counter-terrorism investigation — and his friendship with the bookkeeper of the target
· How Arabic instructors at the Defense Language Institute, where U.S. Army translators are trained, gloss over Arab terrorism and focus instead on Arab arts and culture
· The deal the White House struck with Muslim-rights groups to avoid describing terrorism as “Islamic”
· How a Republican-tied Islamic institute has been running influence operations against the federal government
· The “moderate” Muslim advocacy group that, according to IRS financial records, has donated money to terrorist front groups, while also employing three officials recently arrested for terrorist-related activities
· How the same group has received substantial foreign support for its operations, despite public denials by its officials
· The Saudi-bankrolled American social studies teacher who is educating public-school children about Islam through sugarcoated textbooks and role-playing exercises in which kids “become Muslims” for weeks
· The Saudi-funded Washington-area mosque that ministered to at least two of the 9/11 terrorists. How at least four leaders of the mosque have come under federal investigation or scrutiny for terrorist ties
· How the tenants of a Pentagon-area apartment building popular with diplomats working for the Saudi Embassy in Washington cheered the 9/11 attacks, according to a leasing agent and former residents
· Why one former top FBI agent says the Bureau’s knowledge about the growing threat of Muslim fanatics in America still ranks about 20 on a scale of 1 to 100
· How, according to the former head of the FBI’s Washington field office, that office is home to a number of Muslim moles
· How the “moderate” Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) is backed by a radical Middle Eastern foundation that supports Palestinian terrorists, according to tax and land records
· The “Wahhabi Corridor”: how an area in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C., that is heavily populated by Muslims is serving as a base of operations for Islamic terrorists
· The Muslim art of telling “white lies” to defend the faith and further the cause of Allah, as instructed in the hadiths, the sacred supplements to the Quran
· The deceptive methods used by Muslim leaders to conceal the dark underbelly of Islam in an effort to gain wider acceptance in Washington — and how Washington’s politicians and pundits, even after 9/11, buy into Muslim leaders’ hype about the peaceful, non-threatening nature of Islam.
John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier were married in Newport in 1953, and were seen by all as a model couple. During JFK’s presidency, the White House came to be known as Camelot, but the storybook romance came to an end when the two were separated by her husband’s untimely death in 1969. Through it all, Jackie Kennedy showed strength and courage. She later married Greek tycoon Aristotle Onassis, whom she also survived.